Manager or Entrepreneur: Who needs leadership skills the most ?
Even as an entrepreneur, one must have a little more of leadership capability – because it’s about leading people into the unknown and devise structure where there is little or none. Leading is complex and studies reveal that any one trait or a set of traits does not make an individual an extraordinary leader. Leadership traits such as intelligence, assertiveness, or physical attractiveness of an individual do not change from situation to situation.
Usually, great leaders demonstrate traits of strong determination and drive such as initiative, energy, assertiveness, perseverance and sometimes dominance. Probably these are the reasons that make them wholeheartedly pursue their goals, work long hours, are ambitious, and often are very competitive with others. Coupled with cognitive traits intelligence, analytical and verbal ability, behavioral flexibility, and good judgment they work out well-planned solutions, within deadlines and adapt to changes.
Self-confidence, integrity , and sociability make them clear headed, well trusted and socially accepted.
Imbibe Leadership Qualities
Gist so far, is that to be a leader, one has to discover, inculcate/polish the qualities such as:
- Positive attitude -helps to see the brighter side and work towards bringing constructive changes. It is more of a state of mind that renders us optimistic and expecting the best to happen..
- Know how to handle the failures and set backs – being realistic means aligning to failures and setbacks are inevitable. Set backs should be treated as the opportunity to self-propel. Setbacks are situations, not problems – respond to them, don’t react.
- Able to take responsibilities – its about knowing what or when it comes to their work or situation. Great leaders are never found making excuses, instead try to work out and fix in least possible time. It adds to their trustworthiness and their integrity.
- Develop individuals and things around them – it is realizing the significance of developing skills of those who bring in value to the work and to the organization. Sharing skills and knowledge with your team and give them the opportunity to excel is the crux.
- Able to delegate – it doesn’t matter how much you want to do, you cannot do entire work yourself. You need to delegate, and to delegate you need to understand the skills of your team. Delegating to others display that you have confidence in their abilities, that gradually enhances their morale in workplace and loyalty too.
- Know how to communicate -effective communication skills are necessary for effective leaders. You cannot get the best out of your team, if you do not communicate the right message across.
- Exhibits confidence – almost great leaders need to exhibit the confidence if they are moving towards the success. Individuals should look up to you as an inspiration. Because there will be many occasions when the things are not moving in the right directions.
- Use their intuitions – finest leaders, many a times, employ their intuitions and rely on their past experiences to guide the team out of troubled waters.
- Have a sense of humor – is important for leaders to have a great sense of humor. Laugh for thing go off, otherwise, the morale of your team goes down, will affect the productivity.
- Show commitment – stick to your commitments and promises. If you don’t do it, you will be an untrustworthy leader. By being committed to the cause and working hard, leaders inspire everyone around.